GOLD AWARD WINNER
Amalgamated Builders (2001) Ltd
Pitches Store Ophir
David and Colleen Hurd
When the current owners took over this modest building in the main street of Ophir, Central Otago, it had little going for it. Built in 1883, it had passed through many commercial uses, with a variety of expedient but ugly alterations. The owners had an audacious vision however, and after a comprehensive strengthening and redevelopment project now have a fine building comprising bar, restaurant and six accommodation suites.
The project involved demolition of virtually everything behind the front facade, which itself required extensive restoration. The sympathetic rebuild included adding an extra story within a steeper pitched roof, as well as a large extension to the rear.
This was achieved with a great effort from the Amalgamated Builders team, to the designs of architect Michael Wyatt.